Wednesday, July 13, 2011

From an Uncle's perspective.....

Our family has been greatly blessed with two very special little girls, with a fighting spirit we can all learn from. Needless to say, no one expected a phone call early Sunday morning saying that Carrie had her twins. Well the unexpected happened and Carrie and Dustin have met this challenge head on.

I realize a lot has been said already but I hope you will indulge my synopsis of the first 4 days of the twin's life.

Brinleigh...she is a "rockstar" and a steady fighter. She was born the larger of the two and has been solid. She has had her moments of scare when she forgets she is in the world, but she snaps out of it quickly and remembers where she is. She has been a great example to Maeleigh and is a fantastic big sister. She definitely loves her parents and the proof is when her heart rate climbs when both Carrie and Dustin are in the room and talking to her. Last night I was visiting the twins for the last time before returning home, and Dustin and Jake we saying goodnight to Brinleigh. The nurse caught my attention and pointed out the heart rate as it was moving from 165 to 174. She looked at me and said, "she sure loves her daddy".






Maeleigh...can I coin her as "The Miracle Twin"? The reality is both girls are miracles, but Maeleigh has overcome some big obstacles thus far, and has proven to us that she wants to be here. She is a calm baby, but she sure has her opinions, and she will let you know. Her fighting spirit is getting stronger and stronger and that will hopefully lead to more "on the mend" days. She is noticeable smaller than Brinleigh, but she doesn't know that and she doesn't care either. This is a total shot in the dark, but I think Maeleigh will be a "Momma's girl". Carrie put her finger in by Maeleigh on Monday and Maeleigh grabbed onto her finger and didn't want to let go, as if to say "stay with me Mom, don't leave."





Now for Carrie and Dustin, the terrific parents. I think we all know how much they have gone through to have these two precious souls. Amidst all the unexpected circumstances they are still there for each other. Dustin is a ROCK! Something I look up to, and he is always calm and cool in his reactions and emotions. He is a great companion for Carrie and a wonderful provider. Carrie is just meant to be a mother. She loves those baby girls so much and I saw that everytime she talked about them and visited them. I see her sleeping on the floor of the NICU soon, because she just wants to be with those girls. To sum it up, Carrie and Dustin compliment each other perfectly and that will make fantastic parents!


Are we hopeful for these two beautiful girls? Absolutely!!! Do we still have a long road to go? Yes


I have never really understood taking it one day at a time, but I do now. We pray for a good day tomorrow, and then tomorrow we pray for a good day on Friday. The twins both are strong-willed girls and I am sure will give their parents a run for their money. We love you Brinleigh and Maeleigh and thanks for letting me get to know you so quickly!


2 comments:

  1. We'll be praying for them every day too!! You have a wonderful perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh, thank you so much for that post and especially that precious video of Maeleigh!! She looks awesome!! So grateful they will have that forever, she is beautiful and I love those little active arms!! Can't even begin to tell you how I am feeling about all of this. Just so sorry and sending as much love as I can!! Heaven will do the rest...........I am just so sorry!! Love, Annie

    ReplyDelete